Monday, July 5, 2010

4th of July Weekend - #2

I slept MUCH better the second night - but we were both a little stiff and sore from bouncing on the ATV! I'm also sporting a nice bruise from hitting the rack with my thigh on a particular big bump! The perils of ATV riding.......

Our second day of riding took us up into the mountains by a different route - there were groves after groves of aspen trees and I can just imagine what they'll look like in the fall!

As you can see, they are growing so thick here that most of the green leaves are near the top!


There was one particular place where it was horribly rocky - I didn't think we would ever get to the top!! Going up is a little tougher on the passenger - me - mainly because you slide back some and unless I'm sitting right up behind Glenn, my short legs don't allow my feet to rest on the step and they dangle, hence my calves get bounced against the wheel well, over and over and over! At one point, I didn't think I was going to be able to stand it any longer but of course about that time, we reached the top and I could slide up closer to Glenn!



I chose to WALK down - the picture actually doesn't do justice to how rocky and bad the trail was! Luckily, we didn't have too many of these! (I have no idea what is in the sky - a UFO maybe?)


There were acres of these beautiful purple flowers and I loved the fact they were growing around this old stump! In the picture below, Glenn had to check out this tree stand to make sure it was still sturdy - better him than me I guess!


We got rained on some but it was no big deal - we parked under a tree for awhile until it let up and then were on our way! Glenn decided he was going to go fishing in the stream that afternoon so I spent the afternoon reading away and enjoying the quiet!

After another delicious meal that evening, our plans were to head out to the campfire but a storm rolled in - hardly any rain but lots and lots of wind! There was no way we could roast marshmallows in that wind so we had to settle for Hostess cupcakes while we played Upwords - again I beat Glenn but not too badly this time - after all, I DO want him to continue playing!

It was cold that night - darn cold - and we could see our breath the next morning!! Time to turn on the furnace and get the coffee perking!! Another great camping weekend had come to an end!

3 comments:

Teri said...

AHHHHH! I am so jealous. What a great weekend!

DrKeppy said...

Love the aspens - you'll have to return in the fall to see those leaves! You need me to come camping so you don't win at the word games all the time :)

Becky Raymond said...

Jessi - I TOLD Glenn that if you were there, I would NEVER win and he said he wouldn't even BOTHER to play if you were there - ha ha!!