Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Gordon Lightfoot - What A LEGEND!!

Another item crossed off my bucket list - last night was the awesome GORDON LIGHTFOOT concert!!!

I think he's one of those singers that you either love or just don't even know about! I first LOVED his song "If You Could Read My Mind" back in the early 70's - our high school had a swing choir and there were about 8 of us that sang in it - I played the guitar along with one other guy and a bass player - and we sang this song - many, many times!!

I grew to love his folk/ballad style songs and ended up with most of his cassettes, back in those days!! I've since ordered the old classics on CD's!!

Anyway, the concert was last night and good friends Karen and Joleen went with me - we were thankful the snow wasn't heavy but there was enough on the pass going down that we saw 2 accidents - one car was way over in the trees!! But we made it to C. Springs without any trouble, found a great parking spot almost right across from the Pikes Peak Center and walked around the block to a cute, contemporary bar/restaurant called "Nosh".

Monday night was not the usual menu but just the appetizer menu - all at 1/2 price - you can't beat that!! We ordered drinks and 4 appetizers to share and just had a great time eating, drinking and talking - definitely a great place on a Monday night to take some friends!! For dessert we ordered the "chocolate platter" and it was amazing!! The chocolate items were so rich that you had to have coffee to go with them!! YUM!!! And the great part about it - for the drinks, appetizers, coffee and dessert - a mere $33.00 to split amongst us!!

We had the usher take a quick photo of us before we went into the concert - not a great picture of me at all but the other gals look great!!



And then it was concert time!! We had front row balcony seats, dead center!! I was just so excited to see this guy walk out on the stage with his guitar - why I had NEVER been to one of his concerts when he was in his prime is beyond me - but he was great!! The guy will be 72 years old on Wed. and yes, he is old looking and couldn't begin to reach a lot of the high notes but the audience didn't care a bit - he just sang and sang and sang, one song right after the other!

Even though he had a drummer, bass, lead guitar and keyboard, they didn't back him up singing at all - it was just him and his music!! He kept switching between his 6 string and 12 string guitar so I got a kick out of using the binoculars and watching him actually play!! He's fantastic!!

I'm not sure how long he'll be able to keep up his concert schedule though - he was really short of air a lot of the time when he was singing(although that could have been due to the elevation) and let's face it - he's just getting old!!

I listened to his CD, all the way home - and know that I will NEVER grow tired of hearing his wonderful songs - thanks Gordon for ONE GREAT CONCERT!!!

4 comments:

ahh bear said...

Fun!! And what a great price on dinner!

char said...

HI, I've just read your blog about the concert! I had some friends there too. I was supposed to be there and at the Denver show but couldn't make it. I live in Toronto. I moderate a Lightfoot discussion board if you're interested to drop in..www.corfid.com
Gordon is The Man !
Char

Teri said...

WOW - what fun. And I love the sound of the place you ate at - that price is usually for one person! Glad you got to see him and it was a great show!

DrKeppy said...

Glad you had a great time at the concert with the girls! At least they didn't have to bring out oxygen for him :) And yum - dinner sounds great!