Saturday, February 12, 2011

Mexico Bound!!

I wish I could replay the morning we left on our trip - you know, the part about the ice.......

The morning started out great - the alarm went off as expected at 3:15 - it was only zero out - there was no traffic to contend with that time of the morning - we were right on schedule..........

Glenn pulled into the parking lot at the airport and saw the airport shuttle following us so turned abruptly into a parking spot and said let's hurry and catch the shuttle!! I opened the car door and no sooner stood up outside the car when I was flat on my butt - you guessed it - it was a sheet of ice outside my door and after my warm sandals hit that ice, it was less than a second before I was down..........

I think I moaned something like "OH NO" as Glenn came around the side of the car saying "Why weren't you more careful????" as I sat there in tears. Why is it when you want total sympathy that you get a lecture???

I landed right on my tailbone - it was a couple of minutes before I even felt like I could stand up and then it was painnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn........ Glenn kept asking me if I needed to go to the hospital and of course I'm saying no, I'm not missing my vacation

The driver took us to the top of the airport where we would go through security so I wouldn't have any further to walk than necessary and it DID hurt to walk, but I was bound and determined to get on that plane!

Sitting was NOT fun on the airplane - but I had the stewardess fill a ziploc bag with ice and that made it bearable!! Our layover was in Dallas where we met Patty and Leonard and Jim and Brenda and soon we were Mexico bound!!

We landed in Cancun and the Customs line seemed especially LONG but soon we were picked up by our transport and whisked away to our resort - the Now Jade Riviera!!

Cool moist cloths were waiting for us as we stepped out of our van and we were whisked away to the "Preferred" check in and lounge - drink orders were taken - sandwiches were passed out and by this time we were quite excited with the "preferred" status that we had chosen this time!!

And then the moment of truth - being taken to our rooms!!! Because I do all the research for the trips and basically choose the one we stay in, I always feel responsible if someone is not happy with the rooms! No chance of that with this place - the NICEST rooms we have ever stayed in!! We had a suite that had a living room and desk area, pocket sliding doors that opened into our bedroom - 2 large closets with pristine white robes waiting for us along with slippers - a huge walk-in shower with a rainfall shower head - double sinks with luxury bath items - another bathroom with a sink, toilet and bidet!!! Oh, did I forget to mention the balcony with a couple of wicker chairs along with the built-in hot tub??? It was ONE FANTASTIC room!!! Of course all the little perks were nice with 2 flat screen TV's and a mini frig filled with drinks - champagne chilling in the ice bucket along with fresh fruit - and 24 hour room service!


The nice thing about the preferred program was a very nice lounge you could go into at any time with lots of tables and chairs - there you could order a drink at any time and there were always food items there for your enjoyment - games to play - computers to use - just a nice quiet place if you needed to relax!!

We hurriedly unpacked and saw a little bit of the resort before it got dark but what we saw was impressive!! Dinner than night was at the specialty Mexican restaurant - the nice thing about this resort was NO reservations to make for the speciality places - you just show up when you wanted to at whatever restaurant you wanted to eat at!! There were several to choose from, along with the main buffet place
Our dinner was leisurely and EXCELLENT!!! When we first arrived, our host poured us each a shot of mango tequila to sip on- I don't drink tequila but I DID enjoy this and even asked for a 2nd one as the night wore on............ It was great catching up with everybody!!

We checked out the sports bar after that and enjoyed the "drink of the day" which is printed on the daily schedule that you receive daily - the drink was awesome!!!

No late night the first night - everyone was tired and content to just head back to their room to relax and get some shut eye!! Unfortunately, there was no hot water at that time to fill our hot tub (we were in a different building than the other 4) but I was so tired anyway that I didn't have any trouble falling asleep - even with a severely sore tailbone...............

1 comment:

DrKeppy said...

Ouch! So sorry to hear about your tailbone! The lecturing when you get hurt must be a man thing - Gary does that to me all the time - it's NO help is it??

Your room looks amazing! WOW! I'm glad I can live vicariously through you with all your amazing vacations....!!! :)

Can't wait to hear more!!