Monday, July 23, 2012

Lions and Tigers and Bears, OH MY!

It was zoo time with the Keppy's at the Cheyenne Mt. Zoo last Thursday!!  Unfortunately Glenn was unable to get away from work so I met them at opening time to explore the zoo!!  This zoo has always been one of my favorite ones - I used to go to it when my folks would vacation out here in Colorado and one of my fondest memories is my cousin taking us to the zoo in her convertible and I just couldn't believe the zoo was on the side of a mountain!!

The giraffes are always first when you walk into the zoo!!  I was surprised to see that you couldn't buy the giraffe crackers anymore - oh no, they have went "green" and for $2.00 you received about 4 pieces of romaine type lettuce to give the giraffes!!  Gosh, if I would have known that, I could have brought an entire bag from home!!


It seemed a little strange to be feeding them lettuce but both Kenzie and Evan fed them and that's all that counts!!
I think giraffes make the BEST pictures ever!!!

One of our first stops was the bird place where you buy bird feed on a stick - the birds didn't seem too hungry that day but we finally got them to eat off the kids' sticks!  It was so bright in there that my picture of Kenzie hardly turned out!


They are colorful creatures though, aren't they?

Luckily the heat wasn't too bad but it did feel good to stop in the "backyard" and run through the mist to cool off!!  I wonder how many pics I have taken of kids and grand kids sitting in the spider web!!
One nice thing about this zoo is that it isn't huge and you can usually make it through it in about 3 hours!  That is if you don't ride the rides and stop and eat - which we didn't!!  Kenzie was really excited about getting to Nana and Papa's house but we had two more stops before heading home - Wines of Colorado for lunch by the stream and Papa's work so that Gary and Jessi could check it out and see where I actually spend most of my time!!

We had a great lunch at Wines and it's always fun to sit by the stream and listen to the water!!  To be cont'd.....................

2 comments:

DrKeppy said...

Cute pictures! We did have a great time - glad we made it there this year!

Teri said...

What a great time! I do miss zoos!