Thursday, July 1, 2021

Soldier Lutheran South Church

 My all time favorite church is the South Church at Soldier - it's set in the country in the most beautiful setting and also hosts the cemetery where several relatives are buried!

One nice thing about going back to Soldier during the month of June is that it's the ONLY month of the year when the South Church holds their Sunday services.  I have so many memories in that church and it's always a pleasure to attend a service there!

There are beautiful stained glass windows, all the way around!  


The front of the church looks the same as it did when I was growing up!  I know the carpet has been replaced and probably painting has taken place also, but to me, it's the same!  We actually wandered downstairs where they used to serve those fantastic Memorial Day Dinners, complete with pie.  Unfortunately the basement is in bad shape but it's not used anymore.



But the best memories of the church are playing the old pump organ!  Many a Sunday I pumped that organ when I played for church as when I was in high school, services were held out there all summer.  This time I waited till everyone had basically left and then went up to play a couple of songs!


Although I'm pretty rusty playing the actual songs, my feet immediately knew what to do!  I sure enjoyed pumping that old organ!


We walked the cemetery after church and then headed back to Patty's to continue our sorting!  In the afternoon, all 3 of Patty's girls came and it was so nice to catch up with them!


We served a LOT of people early evening, thanks to Jay, and we all appreciated having things we could just heat up without spending a lot of time in the kitchen!  Emily was great about getting food started in the microwave or on the stove and we sure appreciated her!

Here's a picture of the cousins that were there!

What a fun evening visiting with everyone!  We did spend time outdoors until the mosquitos came and the girls all found places to sleep that night!

1 comment:

Jill said...

How fun to see a picture of all the cousins that made it! Wish I could have been there!