Friday, July 14, 2023

2 Grandkids and a Nana Headed North

 A while back, Jill had asked me if I would consider driving up to Ft. Collins to deliver Aleah after our girls time, and staying a couple of nights to babysit them and Parker!  It was Jill and Robby's 20th wedding anniversary in July and they wanted to get away for a couple of nights!  How could I refuse?

SO it actually worked out just fine for me to take BOTH girls (yes, Kenzie got to come too and extend the cousin time a couple more days) and stay for 2 nights!  We headed out fairly early - stopped and got me some coffee at Human Bean - and then off to McDonald's to get frappes for the girls - or so we thought!

The line wasn't long at McDonald's - there was just one car ahead of us - but we waited and waited and waited to finally get up to the order place - who KNOWS what that car ordered!!  But it was to no avail because they had NO frappes, no smoothies, no NOTHING ice cream wise!  GEESH!  I think it's been since Mother's Day that they can't make frappes!!

So we headed back to Human Bean to get smoothies - and of course everywhere I drove I had to backtrack to get the right direction - summertime traffic is hideous in W. Pk so you just have to get to a light to be able to turn!  FINALLY we got back there and smoothies were ordered!



I'd like to say it was a nice, peaceful drive to Ft. Collins but of course it NEVER is with the horrible traffic!  I ended up taking E-470 all the way around after dealing with stop and go traffic on I-25.  We FINALLY made it to Jill's house - her and Robby had already left of course and Parker was there to greet us!   And Penny - we musn't forget Penny!

We played at least 4 games of cards or rummicube - everybody got to pick 1 game and the others were required to play - it's funny how these 3 have their FAVORITE and also at least 1 card game that they dislike playing!


Jill had left a pretty detailed list for me since there were 3 different activities that I had to drive the kids to!  Wed. night was youth group at the church - that was easy because I've been to the church many times and it's easy to get to - they were serving pizza that night so I didn't even have to cook - I just ate leftovers!  

The next morning was Aleah's training and conditioning time - Jill had left me written instructions how to get there but I just used the GPS in the car which of course took me a different way!  After dropping her off, I decided to use Jill's directions to get back home as it did seem closer but I no sooner took the first turn and then hit a detour where the entire road was shut down - so once again, GPS took me back the way I had come that morning!

For lunch the kids decided they wanted McDonalds - really????  The only thing I ever order at McDonald's is their caramel frappe - but after begging and pleading, I said I would take them!  BUT I told them we were going in to place the order but would get it to go!  They were APPALLED that I wouldn't go through the drive-thru but I had no idea what I wanted so they finally all walked in with me!  I tried to take a picture and this is what I got!


As everyone knows, I have NO sense of direction but I did know how to get back on the main road - so I'm in the turn lane to turn left and Parker yells, no you are going the wrong direction - get back over and turn right - luckily nothing was coming so I swerved over 2 lanes and turned right!  FOR ONCE I was right as this was the opposite direction - Parker was indeed wrong!!  I finally got turned around and we headed home to eat! (and my hamburger and fries weren't too bad!!)


I had dinner ready at 5:00 because Aleah had volleyball practice in Loveland!  And wouldn't you know it, the GPS in my car said there was no such address - WRONG - it was a valid address but a newer building so my GPS did not recognize it - darn!!  I used my phone and Kenzie kept reading the directions as my phone is synced to the car and doesn't say the directions (there's a way to do it but I always forget)

Anyway, it was a good 20 minute drive and we made it just in time!  Kenzie and I just stayed there for the 2 hour practice (sitting on stools with no backs!!) but it was fun to see them scrimmage!!  I'm glad it's summer and it stays light for a long time as it was getting dark by the time we got back home!

The girls roasted marshmallows over the fire pit and got to eat their strawberries with them!  Even though Jill had the backyard sprayed for mosquitoes, some must have came over from the neighbors as we all got bit!   Oh well, the perils of summer!!!

After saying goodbye to Aleah and Parker on Friday morning, Kenzie and I headed to her mom's office in Denver - I got a much needed adjustment and then headed on home before the awful 4th of July traffic started!

Jill and Robby had a great time in Steamboat Springs and I was glad I could help out with kids!

2 comments:

Jill said...

How lucky are Robby and I that you came up and watched our kids! Thank you so much! They were in the best of hands!

DrKeppy said...

OH this post cracks me up! Oh those kids and their pictures and their quirks! You are so awesome!!!