Monday, July 24, 2023

70 And Fabulous!

 ...so says my sash that the girls gave me in Tulum!  And why not?  I'm alive and healthy and so blessed so turning 70 is no big deal!

Jaime had my birthday off and since we're usually in Denver or Ft. Collins on my birthday, this was wonderful to hear that Jaime could be with me on my special day!  She said to think of something fun to do - hmmmmmmm - I pondered that for a LONG time before it hit me - let's go out to tea together!

I checked at Glen Eyrie Castle for tea - yes, there were plenty of openings at 11 through 1 so no problem - I checked with Jaime the next morning and she said yes, that would work out great!  But when I went back in to reserve, all the times were gone......darn!

And then I remembered there was another place in Manitou Springs that did tea - Miramont Castle!  And they had an 11:00 opening - perfect!  And I had never been there!

We dressed for the day in dresses - and found the place easy enough!  I posed at the front entrance before we headed into the tea!


The place was lovely inside the tea room!  We each chose a tea - Jaime had a lemonade flavored one and I chose mango tango!  They were both delicious!  Our first course was a wonderful mixed summer fruit cup along with a scone - now many scones I have had at teas are hard and just not that great - this one was fantastic!  It was served with herbed butter, devonshire cream and homemade fruit jam!  YUMMY!


In reality, I don't drink tea - but I STILL love to go to tea houses and drink it!  As long as there is a fruity flavor, I'm fine!


2nd course were the sandwiches - oh my they were good!  My favorite was between the cucumber which was nice and tangy and the egg salad with the edible flower!


It was the perfect setting and we luckily were given a table by the window!


Last course was dessert - again, very good and filling!


Because we did high tea, we could each choose a 2nd flavor of tea if we wanted to - we both chose a strawberry that kept getting darker, the longer it sat - it was very good!  I LOVED the little elephant teapot!


There were 2 hat stands with lots of hats to choose from if you so desired!  I'm not fond of wearing a hat all the time, but after we ate, I found us each one to match our dresses!


The colors were perfect for our dresses!


What a wonderful time we had at tea - and my only wish would have been to have Jessi and Jill along too!


I enjoyed many calls, texts, and cards for my 70th birthday which made it so special!  I didn't care at all that we weren't planning a big meal out but Glenn decided we should just go to Divide and have a burger at Russ's place - so we headed in!  Unfortunately they were setting up trivia inside so we knew it was going to be loud so we opted to sit outside - yes, it was CHILLY!  Luckily I had brought a jacket!  Our neighbors below us showed up so we all sat together and it was fun to catch up with them!

Glenn ordered a burger and fries which is what we both usually get - but I wasn't hungry and saw mac and cheese on the menu so ordered that!  I've been with other people who have ordered mac and cheese and it always looked so bubbly and good, coming out of an oven!

Our food came - and I was totally shocked to have a small bowl of Kraft mac and cheese put in front of me - REALLY?????  Oh my gosh - I didn't even THINK to ask if it was baked - I just assumed!  It was probably about 1/3 of a box - and the price was $6.00!  I was expecting a small bowl for that price but had no idea it would be Kraft!   So much for my birthday dinner...............

Here's to being 70!!!!!


3 comments:

Jill said...

Happy, happy 70th birthday! So glad you got to have tea time with Jaime!

Teri said...

What a special day. And so funny about the mac n cheese!

DrKeppy said...

Happy happy birthday again! I so wish we could've been there too! Such cute pictures and I love the hats! I still can't believe they served you kraft mac and cheese!!