Sunday, June 21, 2009

And They're Out To Play!!

I couldn't believe my eyes when I looked out the window yesterday about 6:30 and caught a glimpse of a doe and 1 fawn - I just KNEW this was Heidi and her 4 young ones so I raced into the office, grabbed my camera, and ran down to where the old shed used to stand! Sure enough, there was mama and her fawns!!

At that point, I couldn't tell if there were 3 or 4 fawns with her as the grass is high and the fawns are oh so tiny!! I squatted down and remained still and silent, hoping she wouldn't see me and run off before I had a chance to get some pictures!

About that time, I hear a diesel truck - it's Glenn on the road right below the deer and Mama Heidi looks up and spots me - darn - Glenn rolls up the driveway and of course sees me with the camera in hand so as quietly as he can, crawls out of the truck! He asks me if I've seen all 4 fawns and I tell him I can't guarantee I saw all 4 but for sure 3 of them!!

Heide decides to cross the road then so I'm snapping away, still not seeing all the fawns and she crosses the road with only 2 in tow! So where are the other 2? I started looking around and sure enough, there's one lying in the grass, still as can be and cute as a button - I don't get very close but do get a great photo - now I'm wondering if the 4th one is around so Glenn and I start wandering and pretty soon Glenn spies him, lying by a tree! I take another quick picture and then we get the heck out of there, waiting for Mama to come back across the road and retrieve the other 2!!

So inbetween cooking dinner and eating it, we keep one eye out the dining room window, watching for the mom to come back - and she doesn't!! And then I start to worry that she's NOT going to come back and get them and it's getting colder outside and then darker and darker! Glenn and I basically stand at the windows for the next 2 hours, watching for her to come back - I felt bad, thinking I might have scared her away and she might NEVER come back for the 2 little ones! After it got so dark that we couldn't see any more, we went down and watched a LONG movie!

Glenn went out with the flashlight about 11:30 to check and see if the little ones were still lying there - it didn't take him long outside and I just knew he was going to tell me they were still there and I was going to go to bed feeling awful! But he didn't - he smiled and said Mama Heidi was there lying in the grass with them!! A HUGE sigh of relief!!




I'm excited that she is bringing the fawns out and I hope to get pictures of her with all 4 in tow - but for now you'll have to settle for separate pictures of Salty, Pepper, Sugar and Cinnamon!! (By the way, Cinnamon now looks JUST like the other 3 so he probably had just been born when I saw him out the window Friday morning!)

2 comments:

DrKeppy said...

Hoooooray! I was SO hoping to see pictures and even moreso hoping to see them in the next two days when we come to visit!

Teri said...

What a fun experience! I can't wait to see more pics and hear more stories!