Thursday, September 30, 2010

Persistency Pays!

I had my mammogram back in August and when I checked in, gave them a check for $150.00 for the cost of it - my insurance states that I must pay for it in full and then turn the bill in to them and they will reimburse me for part of the cost No problem...........

Of course the radiology bill is NOT included in that price so that bill was sent directly to me and I promptly paid it.

So imagine my surprise a couple days ago when I received an additional bill for my mammogram to the tune of ANOTHER $72.50! I called and got a very nice gal on the phone and explained that I had paid in full for the procedure at the time I checked in - she assured me that yes, they had my check for $150.00 but that the procedure was $222.50! I said no, they told me when I checked in that the cash payment was $150.00 - we went back and forth, back and forth - I kept my cool (although I was outraged by the entire deal!) and just kept explaining and explaining that this was unacceptable and that if the procedure was that much, they should have collected that much when I checked in!

After getting nowhere, I finally told her I would be going elsewhere to get my mammogram next year as that cash price was just outrageous - and all of a sudden, she changed her tune. She told me she was mistaken and didn't realize that I had paid up front (duh, I had only been telling her this for 5 minutes!!) and I was to be given the 50% cash discount since I HAD paid up front and that I not only DIDN'T owe the $72.50 but that they would be mailing me a refund check for around $38.00!! REALLY????

I feel sorry for the people that don't pick up the phone and question a bill if they think it's wrong! I stood my ground and stayed persistent - and the result was WAY better than I thought it would be! I think dinner out with my $38.00 sounds reasonable to me...........

3 comments:

ahh bear said...

Good for you for calling about it! Believe me - I do the same thing. That was a lot of money!!

Teri said...

I can't believe how expensive they are! Luckily it doesn't come out of my pocket first! Good for you for hanging in there

DrKeppy said...

That's enough to drive anyone crazy! Glad you know your stuff and stand for what you know is right!