Monday, April 9, 2012

Glenn's SURPRISE 60th Party

Can it be possible that Glenn is turning 60 years old???? ABSOLUTELY!!! But technically not till May 22...............
The girls and I started talking a long time ago about what to do for his birthday - he had already told me he did NOT want a big party!!! HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM - I thought and thought and then decided on 2 things - a limo and a fishing trip to Mexico!!!
Because Glenn has to know his schedule a ways in advance to get all his jobs lined up, I KNEW I couldn't wait till his birthday to surprise him with a trip - so we decided to celebrate the night before Easter - mainly because that would give him plenty of time to get his business in order for the trip AND because all 3 girls and their spouses would be around for Easter!!
Saturday late afternoon I FINALLY pulled Glenn into Jaime's dining room (where the decorations were hanging and HAD been hanging for quite a while - yes, men ARE clueless!!) and said, "Guess what we're celebrating tonight!" and he looked at me and said "our anniversary????" And I said no, look around!!! He FINALLY noticed the "60" decorations hanging from the light fixture and was thrilled that we were going to have a nice steak dinner and go dancing!!! (Only we WEREN'T going dancing at all.............)
I got my bag of goodies out and dressed up Glenn in some of his 60 decorations!
We enjoyed a great steak, baked potato and Caesar salad dinner with JUST the adults as we had fed the kids earlier!! Brad did a great job of smoking and grilling the steaks!!

And then it was a rush to get ready as the limo was arriving 15 minutes earlier than planned!!!
At 7:15 sharp, the doorbell rang and I opened the door to see the limo driver and was shocked to see what was in the background!!! I had ordered a black stretch limo that seats 8 to 10 people - what was parked outside the house was a white (which I originally wanted until I saw the price!) stretch Cadillac Escalade that holds up to 14 people - WOW!!!
I told the driver to wait a minute, shut the door and called Glenn over - told him we weren't REALLY going dancing and opened the door - he was TOTALLY shocked!!! It was SO much fun to surprise him!!!
We got the grand kids put in the limo - Rayna, Evan, Kenzie, Kylan and Aleah - and took them for a ride first!!! I think they were so shocked at riding in such a large car that they didn't even know what to do!!! It was fun riding with them for about 15 minutes!!! The company had even put a bunch of balloons in the limo that said "Happy 60th Birthday" and each child received one as they got out!!

And then the adults were off!!!
The limo was amazing!! There were 4 flat screen TV's, a 1500 watt stereo with an IPOD attachment (that Jessi and I could NOT get figured out but no matter, I had brought CD's) and of course the LONG bar along the one side that had the prettiest colored napkins in each glass, soft drinks, water and a decanter each of vodka and whiskey!! We had brought an ice chest full of beer and wine coolers so we were set for the evening!!
Our first stop was to go get yogurt at Zookie's!!! It's one of those cool ice cream places with different flavors of soft serve and EVERY imaginable topping you could think of!!! The owners were fun and got right into the birthday celebration!!!
Here's Glenn eating his ice cream!!!
I was originally going to give him his gift and cards in the limo but because it was so dark in there, I decided we better do it in the light of the yogurt place - our "old" eyes just aren't what they used to be!!
First Glenn opened the 3 cards from the kids - and because we were doing a "Mexican" theme, they all gave him money for his birthday with instructions to use it for a bottle of tequila, fishing equipment for Mexico and a nice Mexican meal!!! Unfortunately we were NOT in the limo to have the Mexico music playing in the background!!!
Then I handed him my card and inside I had written the words from the chorus of his favorite song: "Women are made to love, money is made to spend. Life is something buddy, you will never live again. Oh I've got to admit it, GLENN sure knows how to live".
And then I reached in my bag and gave him his gift!
He was quite surprised to say the least!!! Inside his billfold was a travel itinerary for a fishing trip to Loreto, Mexico in June!!
Back into the limo for a trip up Lookout Mountain which is located in Golden!! It was HIGH as my ears kept popping!! A couple of times the limo driver had to stop on the switchbacks to let the oncoming car go by as the limo was so long, it could hardly make the corner!!! It was BEAUTIFUL at the top, looking at the lights of Golden and Denver along with a beautiful almost full orange moon!!! WOW - it was spectacular!!!

One last toast - a few more songs and then it was back to Jaime's house!!! What a fun, fun night to celebrate Glenn's birthday!!! And I believe it's one that he's going to remember for a long time!! Happy Early Birthday!!!

5 comments:

Patty Jensen said...

Oh Becky I so enjoyed the pics and your story - it was so fun to hear about your big surprise for Glenn - I know he will enjoy the trip!!! Good job girls!!!

Patty Jensen said...

Oh Becky I so enjoyed the pics and your story - it was so fun to hear about your big surprise for Glenn - I know he will enjoy the trip!!! Good job girls!!!

Teri said...

COOOOOLLLLL! What fun to celebrate - you can make a whole year out of it.

DrKeppy said...

It was SUCH an awesome night - you did good! And I loved that Glenn was completely surprised!! The memories will last a lifetime...(but we'll choose to forget the couple of not so good ones!!)

Boris Korpar said...

Fantastic surprises, fantastic awesome night, so wonderful, fantastic memories... you may really write a book, this was so nice like in some beautiful movie... I am first time here at your blog and I am so thrilled :) nice greetings to all from Croatia !