Wednesday, July 10, 2013

DMV Trip #2 - And NOT The Last!

Do people in other counties and states have to stand in line in order to renew their drivers license or renew their vehicle tags?  Since Glenn and I both had renewed once through the mail and once online, they wouldn't allow us to do it this year (perhaps because of our age?) so as you recall, Glenn did get his license renewed before we headed to Iowa but I didn't because I didn't have proof of my physical address.

Tuesday was the day to head to Colorado Springs to renew my license since I had about 8 stops to make while I was down there!!  With proof of my physical address in hand, I walked in and got a ticket with the gal telling me it would be at least 1/2 hour - more like 45 minutes!!  Luckily I had things to keep me amused - just watching people would have been interesting but I chose to play Ruzzle on my IPhone!

My number was finally called and I walked in VERY confidant that I would soon be OUT OF THERE!  I gave the gal my license and proof of physical address - that was all OK.  I took the eye test and that was OK.  But when she asked me for my social and checked the computer, she shook her head and said she couldn't renew my license because something was wrong at the social security office - WHAT??????  She assured me it was probably something like a wrong name and asked me if I had changed it when I got married!

Since I don't carry my card with me, I couldn't in fact tell her that's what it was but I was 99% sure my card read "Raymond".  I reminded her that I had lived in Colorado since 1989, had a valid drivers license and had renewed it twice but that didn't cut any ice with her - apparently there are NEW rules and everything must match with the social security office!

She kindly told me what I needed to do - first I needed to get my marriage license and birth certificate (sitting at home of course in the lock box) and go to the social security office and fix whatever was wrong (which if it's anything like the DMV, I'll be looking at over an hours' wait time, maybe more).  Then I needed to wait one day (since the SS office doesn't update their computer till nighttime) and then come back down and get my license.

By this time, I'm FUMING!!!!  2 more trips to get my drivers' license renewed??????  I was not happy - but what could I say!!

She did give my license a 30 day extension since there was no way this was going to get taken care of this week - and now I get to take a couple more days off and resolve this matter!!  I think I'll take a book next time as my phone will probably run out of battery by the time I finally get in to see the right people!!

I couldn't wait to get home and check out my social security card - and lo and behold it DID say Raymond - but I quickly saw the problem - EVERYTHING legal is in Rebecca, my given name - but my card reads Becky!!  I was really surprised!  I'm not sure when mom and dad ordered our cards but why wouldn't they have put Rebecca on it vs. Becky!!!  And why didn't I change it to Rebecca?  I have no idea - all I know is that I probably hadn't looked at that card since I had it changed to Raymond - and also realized that I had no trouble getting a passport!  Pretty interesting!!  But I WILL get it taken care of so there are no future problems!!

3 comments:

Jill said...

Man, that's a huge bummer! Good thing you have a flexible boss!

Teri said...

What a pain! But probably good to get it all fixed. Phones and books are good for waiting rooms - sit back and relax!

onecooldad said...

In Arizona, the DMV is regarding as being synonymous with "wasting an entire day waiting. "