Sunday, July 28, 2013

Our Government Working Hard........

So the morning after Pirates Cove, I headed towards home and stopped at the social security office since I was already coming through Colorado Springs.  I walked in and saw that it was PACKED, went through a metal detector and they searched my purse (gosh, it was almost like at the airport except I didn't have to take my shoes off!) and then instructed me to go to the computer and take a number.

There were 3 choices to choose from and of course I was there for a "social security" name change so I pressed the button and out popped a number - hmmmmm - #37 - I found a seat and then glanced up at the board to see what number they were on - and that was number #14!!

I'm thinking to myself that this might be a LONG, LONG day!!  And I had checked the hours when I walked in and they were 9 to 3 - our wonderful government cutbacks!!

I waited and waited - and in the 20 minutes I waited, only one number was called - #15 - let's see, at this rate they won't even GET TO ME before they close!!  I chose to leave!!

I decided I would do the SMART thing and come back another day at 8:30am and stand outside the door so I could be one of the first ones in line!  Last Thursday I headed down and actually got there at 8:15 - I was 26th in line outside the door!  Guess I wasn't the ONLY smart person!

I had taken a book to read while I waited and after I got in the door and took my number, I was surprised to find that I was #7 for the social security line - luckily I only had about 1/2 hour wait and I was taken care of!

The problem - my name read Becky instead of Rebecca on my card - the guy said it was an easy fix as long as I had proper identification - of course, I had my drivers license, birth certificate and marriage license.  He couldn't use my drivers license - after all it was expired BECAUSE of the social security not matching!!  My birth certificate wasn't even a go - but yes, my marriage license was!!

Note to self:  when dealing with the government on your identification, take EVERYTHING but the kitchen sink to prove who you are!!

This week I'm headed down to FINALLY renew my drivers license - let's see, we're now on trip #5.

2 comments:

Jill said...

Holy cow Mom...what an ordeal!

Teri said...

WOW is all I can say. Can't believe it took this long for the problem to show up! Good luck getting the license renewed!