Friday, June 27, 2008

Farmers Markets

I love Friday mornings in the summer - not only do I have my "special" coffee but it is also the Farmers Market! The market here in Woodland Park started a couple of weeks ago but due to my cast, I didn't attempt to walk down. It's only 3 blocks from my office but when you walk as slow as I do, that's quite a journey!

But since the cast is off and I'm walking fairly well now, I attempted the walk! My friend Joleen is on the board for the market so of course is there every Friday with the proceeds from HER garden and we always have a fun time walking around.

And although I love all the produce that the market offers, along with the booths of plants, popcorn, tamales, honey, books and just about anything else you can imagine, the best part of the market is talking with all the people that you see and know! I left home 1/2 hour early this morning, just knowing it would take that long to buy my produce and visit with people! It's a beautiful morning out and Glenn will be happy with the tomatos, radishes and apricots that I bought this morning!

There was a fire close by last weekend which thankfully was put out - but now there is another one in Teller County. It's a ways from our house of course but it's still scarey as we are so dry. They have evacuated about 100 people and I haven't heard an update yet this morning but let's hope the firefighters get it extinguished quickly. It probably seems strange that although the midwest is dealing with flooding, here in the west we are dealing with drought and fires - such is nature..................

1 comment:

Teri said...

I know what you mean about Farmer's markets. I love ours that I go to almost every Saturday. But I don't get the great experience of seeing people I know there - guess that is the difference of living in a larger city! Enjoy the produce!