Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Wolves and Simple Pleasures

I miss the wolves - I miss their haunting, eerie sounding howls that would occur about once every hour when they were around. And I didn't realize how much I missed the wolves until I was awakened last night by the coyotes howling - as soon as I heard them, I laid there waiting for the wolves to start in and then I remembered, they're no longer there................

When we moved over to our property last July, I was surprised by the sounds that the wolves made and how when one would start in, the others joined right in. The wolves were just a few hundred yards up the hill - in fact, if you looked out our loft bedroom window, you could see them walking around. They were beautiful - gray, black and white - the black and white ones were my favorite. There were 13 of them behind 2 double fences and the woman that owned them had about a 2 acre piece of property that they roamed on. But trouble with the homeowners association forced her to move about a month ago.

Last summer when Glenn and I walked in the mornings, we would sometimes take the route that took us past the wolves - they would silently watch us as we walked by - never being aggressive - just pacing back and forth in front of their fence. A few of them were quite large and it was quite intimidating at first, to even just walk by!

So for months we enjoyed the howls of the wolves - it was pretty neat to be sitting in the hot tub with a full moon and have the wolves start their mournful cries! I grew to love that sound and looked forward to the first howl, knowing the others would join in shortly. When the coyotes would start their howling, it was a battle to see who would be the loudest! I sure miss them.

The lilacs here at the office are ALMOST ready to bloom - I can't wait - lilacs are my favorite flower and I love bringing in just a small bunch to put on my desk and have that powerful smell overtake the office! I just wish their blooming time was longer!

Summer must have arrived because we ate dinner on the deck last night! That has to be a sure sign! I went to Walgreen's on my lunch hour yesterday - they have some great specials if you cut out the coupons and use them - the hardest part, I have learned, is FINDING the products in the store! Luckily I found everything I needed without having to walk up and down the aisles too many times. I also picked up the cutest plates, bowls, and glasses in a palm tree pattern that we can use outside on the deck! $1.00 per piece - you can't beat that! So we used our new plates and glasses last night and I have to admit, they looked darn cute on our patio table! Life is all about simple pleasures!

1 comment:

ahh bear said...

Did you ever read the book "Prodigal Summer" by Barbara Kingsolver? She features coyotes in the novel which your post reminded me.