Thursday, March 5, 2009

Singin The "Tax Blues"

If there's no new blogs in the next couple weeks, you'll know why - it's time to get the tax stuff ready!

On our personal side, I'm organized! All the bills and pertinent papers are neatly organized in the accordian-file folder - all I needed to do was to pull them out, add up some figures and it's ready to go to the tax-preparer! DONE!

But the business side - oh my - that's another story! I decided last year it was time to stop "hand writing" out all the income and expenses - I actually didn't mind doing it that way and I actually kept up to date most of the time. Putting all those figures in neat little columns and then adding them up each quarter!

Somehow I convinced myself that it was time to get those books on the computer - Jessi said she knew how to use Quicken and my computer actually had the program already on it! So last Feb., ( we're talking a YEAR ago, not last week!) Jessi came down one weekend, taught me how to put the books online and I inputted Jan. and Feb.'s receipts and expenses. Guess what - when I looked at the computer a couple of nights ago, there was STILL only last Jan. and Feb. done on the computer!! Had it really been an entire year since I had done the books??? Gee, I guess so!

It was back to the drawing board as I had NO RECOLLECTION of how to do any of it!! I actually sat there looking at the computer for a solid 1/2 hour, panicking at the thought of having to do almost an entire year! But pretty soon reality kicked in and I knew if I put my mind to it, I could do it! So let's see, I think I made 4 entries that night!

I guess my weekend project is already written in stone! Wish me luck!

3 comments:

ahh bear said...

Good luck! It's funny b/c in our house - I manage all of the finances but I've never done my own taxes. My parents did them and then my old company paid for them to be done one year and now Sam does them!!

DrKeppy said...

Call me if you need help! And don't worry - I don't plan on having another surgery this weekend so won't be calling you to come up to Denver!!

Teri said...

Quicken is so easy to use - it will be a breeze once you get started! Good luck!