Saturday, April 18, 2009

I'm Just Appalled!!

Anybody that knows me knows that I am VERY organized!! And Thursday at work, one of our clients asked me if I was all stocked up with food for the storm - I said I was - in fact, we could probably survive for 2 or 3 months with all the food I have in the pantry and in the freezer!!

We were supposed to have friends over for dinner on Friday night - and another set of friends that were coming up from Co. Springs Sat. night to take us out for dinner, and then come back here to play some pool and catch up!! They were also going to spend the night so they didn't have to drive home after having a few drinks!!

Of course the Friday night dinner was cancelled on Wed., knowing that the approaching storm was going to be a bad one!! So I didn't go to the grocery store to get what I needed for that meal and of course knew that if Sat. night happened, we were going out to eat!

Our friends called about 1:30 today and said that yes, they were still planning on coming and would be up earlier than expected - no problem!! (Even though it is STILL snowing, we're all plowed out and the highway is basically just wet - STILL waiting for that sun though!!)

Then it dawned on me - if our friends were coming up early and our reservations for dinner weren't until 6:30, we would need to have an appetizer before we went AND probably a dessert for when we come back to the house later!

Panic - Panic - what's in the pantry - what's in the frig??? Nothing very exciting to make a nice appetizer (since I DIDN'T go to the store) and a few dull cake mixes in the pantry but that was it!! So I enlisted Glenn to run into Florissant to the gas station which has a convenience store attached to get me 2 boxes of cream cheese - I had everything else I needed to make what I wanted - but then decided he better get a dozen eggs too!

So when he came home with the items and I looked at the price tags, I just about fainted!! I am SO GOOD about buying only specials and really watching the food budget, buying things when they're on sale and planning menus around the ads!! Imagine my shock when I looked at the cream cheese and saw that EACH box was $3.99!! Oh my gosh, I have NEVER paid that much for cream cheese, even when it's NOT on sale at the grocery store!! And the eggs - they were $2.99 a dozen - just as bad!! So $11.00 was spent on 3 items - talk about blowing the food budget for the week - and all because I didn't plan!!

I actually needed a bag of chocolate chips, but decided I would just use the dark ones I had on hand - good thing as they would probably have been $7.00 for a bag of them!!

THAT'S why I never buy stuff at a convenience store - that's why I always plan in advance!
Lesson learned -and I will totally appreciate my "Ole" dip when we eat it in about an hour and savor every bite of the chocolate cake with cream cheese and dark chocolate chips swirled in it!



3 comments:

DrKeppy said...

Glad your company could make it but geez that's some expensive cream cheese! You see even the most organized person sometimes isn't... phew that makes me feel a little better!

ahh bear said...

lol - we are TOTALLY related! I would've made Sam return the cream cheese at that price! We never pay more than $1.30 for 8 oz!!! I bet the cake was yummy though - do you just swirl in the cream cheese and chocolate chips after making the batter?

Due to my sale shopping, my pantry, fridge & freezer are stocked to the max and I HAVE to start planning meals around what we already own. It's ridiculously out of control right now!

Becky Raymond said...

After the batter is in the pan, cream the cream cheese with 1/2 cup of sugar and 1/4 cup of chocolate chips - drop by teaspoonfuls onto the batter and swirl in with a knife - then put another 1/2 to 3/4 cup chips over the top - bake as usual!! It's REALLY good!