Monday, May 25, 2009

Happy Birthday Glenn!

Yes, I know I'm late in writing this! But better late than never! So Happy 57th Birthday to my wonderful husband!



Did we celebrate? Of course - we got up at 3:30 am on Friday - that way we didn't waste any birthday time! Actually, we got up that early because we were heading on our camping trip and Glenn wanted to get a REALLY early start! After packing in the pouring rain on Thursday night, we were glad to see it was only misting when we took the final items out to the truck and headed out around 4:00am!

Me - I slept - I'd had a tough work week - Glenn got to drive-and once I woke up for good, I took control of the CD's and we soon were cruising along Highway 94 (I think) - I'm not good at maps!

Glenn wanted to take the back roads through eastern Colorado and western Kansas so that's what we did - it was still a highway, just not the interstate, and we went through one tiny town after another! It was kind of sad to sometimes see just 1 or 2 buildings in these so called towns and most of the time they were empty! But every town had a grain elevator - I've never seen so many grain elevators!

I was beginning to think that breakfast wasn't even going to be an option but then we went through a town that actually had a small restaurant! The 50 cent coffee I had there was lousy but the ham & cheese omelet and hash browns were the best I've had in a long, long time!
We meandered our way through Kansas and finally arrived at Cedar Bluff Lake! Of course the first thing we had to do was to fill out the day pass and camping pass papers - we were both surprised that the little building was NOT occupied, even though it was the start of Memorial Day Weekend - so we grabbed a pen and started filling out the paperwork - now you would have thought that would have been an easy assignment but we were on vacation and somehow the brain just doesn't work when it knows it doesn't have to! With no calculator in my purse, we had to hand figure the fees, $4.20 per day for the park pass and $8.50 a day to camp - now who in their right mind set that day pass fee at $4.20???? Why not $4.00 or even $5.00?? Oh no, they wanted us to HAVE to do that addition thing! After I totalled up on a piece of scratch paper, 3 days of park passes and 3 days of camping for the total amount, we FINALLY got it finished, attached the appropriate papers to our windshield and headed in to find the boat dock and a camping spot.

The first dock we went too had posts in front of it and the dock was sitting out of the water - hmmmmmm, not a good sign! But since we were on the right side of the lake for the wilderness camping, we decided to try and find a spot to camp and then check out another dock area. We found a great spot to camp and then it was off to find another dock! Mission accomplished - we put the boat in the water and Glenn motored over to the camping spot while I drove the truck and trailer over. It worked out perfectly as our camp site was up on a small bluff and Glenn could bring the boat up to the shore, tie it up, and leave it in the water all weekend!



We cranked up the camper and set up quickly so Glenn could fish and I could start my weekend in the lounge chair! It was heavenly - raspberry tea and goldfish and Danielle Steele! A great view of the lake and nice warm sunshine - what a deal! To be continued......

3 comments:

Teri said...

Sounds the start of a great weekend! Hope the whole time was wonderful.

ahh bear said...

Wow!!! You guys have a system! Sadly, I wouldn't even know what to pack to go camping.

DrKeppy said...

I love your camping spot - it looks perfect! Who would've thought Kansas would be a good place to camp?