Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Silly Me (or should I say, Stupid Me!)

One of my best friends is moving out of state the first part of June - we've been friends for the ENTIRE time I have lived in Colorado which makes that 20 years!

Of course we wanted to spend some time together before she leaves so last weekend was our chance! Our plans were for Sat. but due to some weather problems, we decided to hold off until Sunday which was a good thing - the weather was awesome on Sunday!

Our first stop was coffee and muffins at our cute local Florissant Coffee House - yum! Then it was off to Buena Vista to the Cottonwood Hot Springs! It's one of my favorite places to go as it's not only a beautiful drive over there, but who can resist soaking in one of 5 hot springs with the magnificent blue sky overhead against the white capped mountains as the backdrop!

Anyway, the air was cool when we arrived there (remember, it's not quite spring yet in the mountains!) so we paid our money, hit the dressing room to change and soon were in the warm, soothing waters - WITHOUT sunscreen on! Didn't even give it a thought, even though we BOTH knew it was in the trunk of the car!

Fast forward 2 hours later - we'd had a great time soaking and talking but were pretty water-logged by that time so we headed into town for a great Mexican lunch (including cheesecake from The Cheesecake Factory!) and then headed on home.

After arriving home, I was telling my friend good-bye and commented that my shoulders kind of hurt - I peeked under my shirt - whoa - what is this burning hot red skin I see? Then it dawns on both of us - we forgot to put the sunscreen on!

Was I miserable for a couple of days? Trust me, that doesn't even BEGIN to describe me! My friend and I emailed back and forth on Monday and Tuesday about how miserable we both were.

Today is Wed. and the pain is subsiding - the skin is starting to turn to brown now - I've applied bottles and bottles of lotion it seems - and I WILL NEVER AGAIN FORGET THE SUNSCREEN!

3 comments:

ahh bear said...

Owww!!! It's painful just reading that! You & your friend will talk about it for years. One year on the 4th of July, my friend Kristi & I both got lobster burned and every year on the 4th we recount the horrible situation!

DrKeppy said...

CO sun always amazes me... it doesn't take much to get burnt!! Glad you are starting to feel better. Unfortunately that's one of those lessons I have to learn over and over and over...

Teri said...

Sounds like a great time except for the burn. Hopefully next time you will remember but it is always so hard in early spring to think you will get burned.