Friday, March 5, 2010

Of Course, No Camera In Hand

Monday evening when I came home from work, I noticed there was a dead deer lying by the gate, straight across from the gravel road we turn onto to get to our house. Of course Glenn's first question when I told him was "It wasn't one of the little ones, was it?" No - it wasn't - it was a larger doe. I'm sure he was afraid it might have been Freckles or Speckles - the twins who were born on our property.

I knew for SURE it wasn't one of them when they came around yesterday with their mom - looking for some food I'm sure but our bag was empty............

Anyway, as I was driving home yesterday, I noticed the county men were out fixing a guard rail which had been smashed during an accident about a week ago - so I made it a point to see if they had picked up the dead deer when I rounded the corner - they hadn't.

But to my surprise, you'll never guess what was chewing on that dead deer - a bobcat - a beautiful, gray-white bobcat!! I have only seen one other one since we moved to Colorado, 21 years ago.

I could hardly believe my eyes - but of course I had to turn onto our gravel road since I was in the middle of the highway - I stopped and looked back and he didn't seem scared at all - just continued to bite and tear into that deer. Alas, no camera in the car of course - I considered racing home and grabbing it but figured the bobcat would be gone anyway by the time I got back.

Of course it wasn't there this morning when I left for work and chances are I'll never see it again - but what an awesome sight - not that I wanted the deer to be dead of course but since it was, nature was taking its' course!

3 comments:

DrKeppy said...

Wow - I bet that was awesome to see! You know you probably have a camera on your cell phone....!

ahh bear said...

lol ... I found this story partly cool (the bobcat) and partly disturbing (the bobcat eating the deer)!!! our closest NBA basketball team is the Charlotte Bobcats!

Teri said...

What a cool site - hope your favorite deer continue to be safe and keep visiting you.