Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Alaska Cruise - Our Day At Sea

Well, how did we sleep on our first night of the cruise? Not too bad at all, except for the fact I had a hard time falling asleep!

The biggest surprise to me on this ship is the motion – yes, the boat rocking back and forth –I had NO idea we would feel it as much as we do! All I can say is that I am SO GLAD I am wearing the seasickness patch or I’m sure I’d be hanging out in our cabin, mainly in the bathroom!! It sort of feels like a slow motion carnival ride at times – and you notice it the most when you’re just sitting! Sometimes we’ll be out just walking around and the ship moves enough that you have to catch yourself! I feel like a drunken sailor at times – ha ha!!
Before we went to bed last night, Glenn and I decided to order some coffee and juice and rolls to just eat in the room while we were getting ready, so I filled out the form and hung it on the outside door! Glenn INSISTED that he would be up by a certain time so that was the time I marked! You can just guess what happened in the morning – we’re both sleeping away and the knock comes at the door – Glenn yells to just leave it outside the door but the waiter says no, he must bring it in. So of course Glenn is frantically trying to put his jeans on and clear off our little table at the same time!! I just pulled the covers over my head as I sure didn’t want anybody seeing me at that time of the day!! (we’re talking 6:30am). Well, Glenn can’t find any tip money of course so is asking me where the money is and naturally it’s in MY bag and I know Glenn will never find it so he brings me the bag and I have to pop my head out from under the covers to find the money to give to the waiter! It’s kind of funny now thinking about it but it sure wasn’t this morning!!

We sat with 2 super nice couples for breakfast – one was from CA and the other was from Austrailia so we all had fun swapping stories! Glenn and I decided to walk around the ship for some exercise – I had read that 3 ½ laps around made for a mile! We certainly had good intentions as we donned our vests and coats but we had NO IDEA the wind was so bad! We did make it around a couple of times but that was enough for us – it was FREEZING outside in that wind!! So the weather didn’t make for any balcony sitting! And we sure didn’t put on our swimsuits to head to the pool on the top level either! BRRRR!!
It was a nice relaxing day just being on the cruise ship! My favorite place is the library of course with the many, many books and the “coffee” place – of course I got a cup of fantastic coffee and just sat and read part of the day!

After lunch we attended a presentation on Furs, Feathers and Fins which was all about the wildlife in Alaska so was very interesting! And we also tried to do more walking on the outside deck but it was just too windy and cold!
Dinner was formal tonight – I was anxious to see if Glenn would be the ONLY male around with no tie on – of course he wasn’t!! We had our formal pics taken before dinner and looked at a few other ones that had been taken of us!
Unfortunately, we had quite a wait before dinner – but we were seated at the same table as the night before when we FINALLY got seated so had the same 2 waiters and they’re a riot! The one waiter is in charge of reservations so is already going to book us for the rest of the trip in his section so he can wait on us!

We enjoyed shrimp cocktail for dinner tonight which was excellent – I also ordered a delicious fennel/tomato soup and surf and turf as my entrĂ©e and it was all very good and presented very nicely! Dessert was cheesecake with a fresh berry sauce – yum!!

Then we headed up to the Crows Nest to listen to Karaoke which is always fun, before we headed back downstairs to see the evening production of “Love Broadway”! Once again, Glenn didn’t really enjoy it but I did – anybody that sings and dances always gets my attention!

We did find out that we have to set our clocks back an hour tonight –we had already set them back in Seattle and now it’s ANOTHER hour back – OK by me as it’s almost midnight now!! There was a beautiful sunset this evening and the other thing that is SO nice – it stayed light till almost 9:30! Which means when we turn our watches back AGAIN, it will be daylight till 10:30!

1 comment:

DrKeppy said...

Ha- I was wondering if you were going to swim in that upper pool! The pics are beautiful - can't wait to see the glacier ones :) How strange for it to be light out until 10:30pm! OH and I loved the breakfast story - typical "Glenn" story!!