Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Oh NO!! OH NO!! OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

So gosh, the trip was going SO WELL up to this point!! And then it happened – and I’m STILL bummed that it happened but you can’t go back and change it so you just have to live with it!! Here’s the story:

We’re out at the railing of the cruise ship as we’re heading in to see the Hubbard Glacier – it’s windy and freezing outside so we have on all our layers plus gloves and hoods up!! Glenn has the binoculars around his neck and I have my camera hanging on my arm by the strap – I always have a fear of dropping it you know!

Glenn leans over and asks me if I want to look out of the binoculars and I say sure – so tried it with sunglasses on and gloves on and it just didn’t work –so I’m taking off my glove (not knowing that my camera has slid down on top of my glove) and bang – something dropped when I took off my glove and out of the corner of my eye I see something go over the side. Before I even look down, I’m thinking that gosh darn it, there went my sunglasses, my brand new ones at that. But then it dawns on me that the glasses are still over my eyes and that’s when I look down – it was the camera – and the force of the drop pops the side open and there is my cartridge chip for pics just lying beside it – and I’m thinking, OK, Jessi and Jill have both dropped their cameras before and THEIRS still work so I bend down to pick it up and put the chip back in – and that’s when it dawns on me –there’s no battery lying there - the battery bounced out of the camera, right into the ocean below! I’m not sure how long I just stood there in shock – and I looked at the guy on the other side of Glenn and he shakes his head and says, yep, your battery just went over the side!

Now this wouldn’t be a problem if it just used a couple of AA or AAA batteries – oh no, this is one of those flat special batteries – and nope, there’s not a second one in the cabin either.

All I could think of was STUPID, STUPID, STUPID – and then I got so angry at myself I could hardly stand out there and enjoy the glacier! And then the anger turned to disappointment because to me, that’s ½ the fun of the trip is to take pictures and scrapbook them.

Glenn was trying to be positive about the whole situation as I was in tears – said I could just order another battery when we got back home – which is true – but what was I to use for the rest of the trip????? That’s right – I would be reduced to using a throw=away one time camera – the kind where there are NO SETTINGS and NO ZOOM and NO CROPPING available – man, I really blew it this time!

So stay tuned for the next segment……………….

1 comment:

DrKeppy said...

OH NOOOO!! That is terrible :( I am so so so sorry. I was hoping you lost the binoculars! Does any of the gift shops sell digital cameras - you were wanting a new one right?!!(yes I am kidding)