Sunday, July 27, 2008

Ft. Collins Festivities



I decided this year NOT to give birthday presents to the 3 girls and their spouses - it seems to get harder and harder to come up with something "unique" to give to everybody and usually what they need, they buy!

But I still wanted to do something special to acknowledge an occasion so came up with the idea to give a gift for their anniversaries as a couple - instead of individually for their birthdays - and the one thing that popped into my mind was that we all enjoy most of all, spending time with each other. So our gift to each couple this year is to take them out to dinner wherever they choose and have a nice, quiet (or loud, depending where we go!) dinner! No grandkids allowed!

Jill and Robby were first on the list as their anniversary was July 4th - so we set a date for Glenn and I to spend the weekend in Ft. Collins with them and we headed up after work on Friday!

I've always loved the town of Ft. Collins - it's a beautiful, clean college town with lots of shopping, great coffee places, and loads of trails to walk on!

Robby had to work on Saturday so the 3 of us headed out Sat. morning to hit some garage sales - of course, Glenn ended up buying the most! I guess he didn't feel the basement had ENOUGH stuff in it so decided to contribute some more! (Just kidding!)

Sat. afternoon Jill and I played on the computer - Jill is a part-time Mary Kay consultant and has a great website where you can post a picture of yourself and then apply different makeup and try LOTS of different hairstyles! We had a ball making ourselves look absolutely hideous with some of the hair pieces - yikes!! Now I know why I keep my hair short - long hair JUST doesn't do it for me!!

We headed out for an early dinner when Robby got off work - they had chosen Hibatchi which is a Japanese place that cooks your food in front of you! Glenn and I had never been to a restaurant like that before so thoroughly enjoyed it and the food was fantastic!!

Our plans afterward were to go to a drive-in movie!! Yes, they have one in Ft. Collins!! And we were so excited to go in Robby's truck and then were going to put lawn chairs in the back to sit on - but one side of the screen was showing a movie that Jill and Robby had just seen over the last weekend and the other side of the screen was showing a movie that Glenn and I had just seen for my birthday! DARN!! So we decided to forego the drive-in this time and headed back to play darts in their garage with some of their friends and eat ice cream cake - yum!!

Did I forget to say I had coffee on Saturday AND Sunday? A different place each time - I enjoy comparing the coffees!! We walked through their Farmers Market and while the guys did some driving around, Jill and I went to see "Momma Mia" - wow - we LOVED the movie! We both enjoy musicals and this was one of those light hearted movies where you can just sit back and relax! If you love Abba music, Pierce Bronson (who can't sing worth a darn but is great anyway!) and Meryl Streep, you will LOVE this movie - it's a definite chick flick so don't take your husbands unless they enjoy people breaking into song every 5 minutes!!

Jill made an awesome dip to feed us before we headed home today and also a great chicken salad yesterday - both recipes will definitely make it into my recipe book!

Thanks Jill and Robby for a wonderful weekend! We'll be back soon to install your granite!

1 comment:

ahh bear said...

Hi Becky! That's a neat idea for the presents. Can you email me Jill's website? Hibatchi is so yummy & fun! I love when there is entertainment with food. I want to see "Mamma Mia" too - I need to find a girlfriend to go to! Also - can I please get the two recipes from Jill? Sam LOVES chicken salad! I put together a cookbook (in Microsoft Word) with recipes from my friends ... we could do a similar thing with the family - I could organize it if you want! : ) Amanda