Monday, July 14, 2008

Birthday Reflections

I turned 55 yesterday - double nickels, the speed limit......... I don't feel any older - in fact, Glenn told me that I looked younger than last year!! (he must have felt a need to rack up some brownie points or something!)

I always expect to wake up on my birthday with a totally different FEEL about the day since it's MY DAY - but I didn't feel any different - it's just another day - and I'm just another year older. And somehow that instant joy I felt in the morning turned to immediate sadness as I realized, another entire year had passed by!

My day was OK - Glenn fixed me breakfast and we headed over to one of my client's homes to get a pickup load of free wood - not a real exciting way to start the day but it was something that needed to be done. And fresh air and a little exercise is a great way to start the day!

We headed to Colorado Springs early afternoon - we had a shopping list of course - we ALWAYS have an ongoing list of things we can't get in W. Pk or are just too expensive to buy up here. I needed a few things at the Dollar Store so that was our first stop and it just amazes me the amount of things you can buy for $1.00! We carried out 3 bags and the total was only $23.00!

It was on to the movies from there - we saw "Journey To The Center of the Earth", only it wasn't playing in 3D at the theater we were at! And we later decided that a better choice would have been the 3D theater! The movie was good, but it would have been GREAT had we seen it in 3D - there were a lot of places in the movie that would have been amazing to see in 3D - live and learn I guess! After eating a large popcorn and drink, we needed to walk awhile before heading out to dinner so it was on to Target and finally, Home Depot.

I don't think there has been ONE time in the last year and 1/2 that a trip to Co. Springs didn't include Home Depot! There's just ALWAYS something to get there when you're building! And since we're planning on starting on the basement soon, I'm sure Home Depot will become our 2nd home once again!

The plans were to buy a new gas grill - we have been putting it off FOREVER and yesterday seemed to be the perfect day to buy one - well, all that was left were the extremely expensive ones - so now we're back to square one again...........

We ended up at Texas Roadhouse for a wonderful meal - I always get the same thing - the grilled smothered chicken with cheese, onions, and mushrooms on top, loaded baked potato and baked beans - unfortunately, by the time the meal arrives, I have already eaten at least 3 of their YUMMY rolls and I'm so full that most of my meal comes home in a box! Of course Glenn mentioned that it was my birthday and the waiter insisted on bringing me a piece of cake - in a "to go" box of course!

All in all, it was a great birthday although I was sad at not being with the girls and their families - but we'll celebrate soon!

I think it's OK to be a little self-centered on your birthday - after all, it IS your day and it DOES only happen once a year -so I'm giving all of you the OK to put yourself up on that pedastal on your birthday and stay up there until the day is done - you deserve to be SPECIAL on that day!

1 comment:

Teri said...

I understand your feelings about birthdays. They just haven't been much fun lately. Life just gets in the way and reality sits in. But at least you got to spend it with Glenn and not at work - that is always a plus. Enjoy the whole next year!