Sunday, July 6, 2008

The Great Outdoors!

Gosh, is the weekend over already? Why do the weekdays have to drag and yet the weekends just fly by? Always happens it seems! ESPECIALLY on holiday weekends.

It was sure nice to have the 4th fall on a Friday this year! So after work on Thursday, Glenn and I headed out camping - our first time this year! We headed west and drove about 3 1/2 hours to our destination - Saguache! (For those of you that have NO idea how to pronounce that name, it sounds like Sa Watch!) Glenn will be hunting over there in a couple of months so wanted to scout it out! It's a LONG drive though and I TRIED not to think about all the diesel we were using which is close to $5.00 a gallon! But heck, this was a HOLIDAY - you're supposed to spend money, right?

The drive back into the camping spot was pretty rough and rocky but we found a nice place and got camp set up right as the sun was setting! Glenn asked me if I wanted a campfire but it was so late, I said no and we headed to bed to read a little bit............ I should have told him I wanted the campfire!

I only have one problem with camping - the darkness! I am so claustophobic that if I can't see some type of light, I have panic attacks! And unfortunately, the moon was just a sliver. I always take the flashlight to bed with me and keep it right by my pillow in case I wake up during the night and have an attack - but usually it's only when I first turn out the light. The feeling is horrible - I immediately think I can't breathe - so back on goes the flashlight - I talk myself back into turning it off and try it for a minute, only to turn that darn light back on again! I despise being like this, but just can't seem to get over it! If I can just relax long enough without the flashlight on, I usually can see the stars. And that was the case Thursday night - the stars WERE out and after I saw them, I was fine.

The next 2 nights were fine because there were nice glowing embers from our campfire to see. So one out of three wasn't bad! I have found too that putting a towel under the mattress on the side where I sleep, does lift my head up a little more off the pillow. I think another problem is since we usually camp in the mountains where it's quite cool at night, we are always covered up with at least one sleeping bag, if not two - and the weight of the covers doesn't help matters any - I feel ENGULFED I guess! Anyway, once I get asleep, I am usually fine!


We stayed 2 nights at our first campsite - it was a nice place, kind of in a meadow with the trees right behind us - only problem is because it was a pasture with cows in it, there were FLIES!!! And mosquitos! I'm sure I looked real cute sitting in the sun reading a book with a fly swatter going 90 mph in front of my face! Afternoons were usually cool with some rain and we took advantage of that to even take naps, although we both slept in too! Funny how tired the fresh air makes you!


So what did I do for 3 days? I read 3 1/2 books!! I had really intended to do some of my Swedish weaving but it never left the carrier - I was having too much fun reading! We ate some great meals and snacked the days away! Glenn got to do his scouting and we just did a lot of relaxing! Marshmellows by the campfire is always fun too and Jessi will be VERY surprised to hear that Glenn beat me both nights in Scrabble and Upwords! (I have to let him win once in a while so he'll continue to play with me!

Saturday about noon the flies and I were having a battle - it was time to move on to the next spot! We headed back towards Poncha Springs on a road we had never been on before - ended up in a beautiful place where our camping spot was right in the pines and aspens and the ground was covered with pine needles and dead firewood - my type of place! No mosquitos - No flies! We should have came there a day earlier!


Glenn practiced shooting his bow and I just continued to read to my hearts content! I always bring my boom box too and am surprised at the stations I can pick up! Good food, good music, great books and romantic campfires! It was a great time! And I'm already counting the days till we can go again!

2 comments:

ahh bear said...

I'm scared of the dark too! I hate when Sam goes out of town - sometimes I try to stay at a friend's house so I don't have to be alone. If I am alone, I leave way too many lights on + the TV for sound & let the dog sleep with me. We were watching a lightning storm on our screened deck on the 4th and I was scared of the dark then ... and Sam was sitting next to me! I hope Pierce is as fearless as Sam!!

Teri said...

I am so envious of your time off. What fun. I am glad you had a great time even though the first night was not too restful. Guess those naps came in handy!