Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Cooking Rut

Cooking - the thing you're supposed to do each night after work to fill that empty void in your stomach.

Cookbook - a book filled with yummy and delicious recipes that have already been tried and given a "thumbs up".

Accordian File Folder - what is sitting under my desk at home, categorized with cute little tabs for all kinds of different foods, and FILLED with untried recipes that I have been cutting out of magazines and newspapers for YEARS!

So why can't I just reach in that file folder and grab a brand new recipe to try at least ONCE a week and if it's good, copy it into my personal recipe book so I have something new to cook? Just can't do it - I'm in a rut - I look through my own cookbook night after night and cook the same old recipes night after night! I'm tired of them - I'm sure when my kids come down for the weekend that THEY are tired of them - and my poor hubby is probably even MORE tired of them!

It's not that I hate to cook - it's certainly not my passion but if I have all the ingredients on hand, I don't mind whipping up a meal! What I really despise is going to the grocery store and buying all the items, loading them into my car, unloading them into the house and FINALLY putting them away! Way too much work!

But wait - even though I have made the same chile recipe for as many years as I have been cooking (yes, it's a boring recipe), I DID ask daughter Jessi for her recipe and DID buy all the ingredients today so I can make it for Super Bowl Sunday!! Gosh, is that a start?

And I DID buy the ingredients for a crunchy coleslaw salad that I've never made before (again from Jessi) and plan to make for Sunday! And I can't forget the "Cereal Bars" that I'm going to make also that Jill emailed me the recipe for! Maybe I've talked myself right out of this rut - I'll keep you posted!!

3 comments:

ahh bear said...

Ohhh - we are SO related! It drives me batty to think of all the handling that food requires. Go to the grocery store, put it in the cart, put it on the belt at the check out, put it back in the cart, put it in the car, bring it to the house, put it away, get it out to cook with. AGH!!!

But it'll be worth it to make your new recipes - I can't wait to hear how they turn out!

And if you're looking for a quick and easy yummy recipe - the sweet & sour meatballs from the Gran cookbook would be a perfect one to make!!

Teri said...

You all have way too much energy for me! I am so lucky to have Jay do the cooking (though he is sort of in a rut too) because if he didn't cook it would be mac and cheese, lasagna, and chili forever and ever.

DrKeppy said...

I'm the opposite of you in that I LOVE grocery shopping! Putting the food away not so much but buying it - yes yes yes! I told Gary I would start doing some meal planning - we'll see how that goes....