Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Would You Like To Come Ice Skating At Our Place?

I'm serious - the top part of our driveway is slicker than an ice skating rink - only I didn't know this when I drove up after work yesterday............

I always get a run up the driveway as it's steep and still ice and snow packed - once I get to the top I curve to the left and then sharply turn right to head up the STEEP little hill to the garage. So I did my usual approach yesterday and the car turned completely sideways and then started sliding, and sliding - I missed our other car by inches but there was nothing I could do - when I FINALLY got the car stopped, I couldn't even take my foot off the brake.

And as I'm sitting there waiting for Glenn to walk down the icy hill, the car just starts sliding on its' own, even though my foot is still on the brake - after the 3rd time it did this, I was out of there - I made Glenn take over and of course he got it moved to a better spot.

Why the ice? Our water pipes are still frozen which means Glenn has to run hoses from the well up the hill, into the shop to do his granite - naturally all the hoses don't fit tight and leak some, hence the skating rink (it was 15 below yesterday morning, only 2 below this morning - a real heat wave!). I'm PRAYING for some warmer weather today to melt some of the ice.

On a brighter note, today is Glenn's LAST day to work on granite in the shop - he has rented a place here in Woodland Park to do his granite and will start moving ALL the granite things starting tomorrow! I'm excited for him as it's been a real challenge this winter to get the granite up the steep and icy driveway and into the shop to work on it! He deserves a better place to do his work and the new place should also bring in more business as it's along the main highway!

On an even BRIGHTER NOTE, ALL the granite and big racks that are taking up space on our property will now be moved to the new shop - our home place won't look like a granite factory anymore - all the EXTRA stuff that is still sitting around our property can go INTO the garage now for storage AND the best part, I will be able to park in the garage - no more scraping icy windows!

And where will I be parking the car today when I get home? Definitely NOT up the icy hill!!

3 comments:

DrKeppy said...

Yikes! I'll tell Gary to head up with his skates :) How nice to finally have your house start to look like a HOME from the outside! I know how much you LOVE having stuff laying around everywhere :)

Teri said...

I hate the look of your hill without the ice- can't imagine what that is like. But things will look better!

Patty Jensen said...

Caught up on your blogs - loved the vacation ones of course and that new recipe sounds good - again I am so glad you made it out of your car after the sliding incident - I remember putting a school bus in the ditch and not being able to get my foot off the brake - I was frozen!!! Someday you may laugh about it :)