Wednesday, September 10, 2008

We're Going To The Zoo

One of my favorite things to do with the grandkids is to go to the zoo! This usually happens during the summer, but my broken leg seemed to put a damper on a lot of activities this year! But needless to say, last Sat. was THEE day to meet Jaime, Rayna, and Kylan in Colorado Springs and to head to the zoo!
The Cheyenne Mountain Zoo is one of my favorite zoos to go to - I have fond memories of coming to Colorado in the summer when I was younger, and one of those memories includes riding in a convertible with the top down, driven by my cousin and heading up to the zoo! I say UP because the zoo is situated on the side of a mountain - some of the paths and walkways are STEEP!

It was a beautiful day with just the right amount of sunshine and breeze! The kids loved seeing the animals and usually the highlight of the day is to feed the giraffes crackers - I'm not sure how many "dollars" worth of crackers we bought but it was worth it, watching the 2 kids' faces when the giraffe's long tongue would reach out and eat the cracker!


Kylan stood on the little bench and watched the gorilla for a long time - I always liked watching them too and some of their antics are quite funny!

One of the newer exhibits that we hadn't seen was the large bird room - it was enclosed and the birds were all loose and either flying around or perched in trees or birdhouses. We bought a "seed stick" for Rayna which was a popsicle stick with bird seed stuck to the end of it and a bird would actually perch there and eat the food off - Rayna thought that was pretty neat! I'm sure Kylan just wondered why he couldn't catch any of the birds that he chased!


They have a new ride at the zoo - the Mountaineer Sky Ride - which is a ski lift up the mountain, over the top of the zoo! It's a great ride, except when a little 15 month toddler doesn't want to sit still! Actually, he fell asleep on the ride which was good because about 1/2 way down, the ride stopped - we waited and waited and waited - we could see below a step ladder set up and some guy crawling up into the working mechanism part - not too long afterward it started going again - THANK YOU - I AM scared of heights you know!

It was a great zoo day! I'm already looking forward to the next zoo trip!

2 comments:

Teri said...

Sounds like a great day. I can't wait until Pierce can enjoy the zoo like that. He wasn't too interested when we took him a few weeks ago (wonder why - only 9 months old:)

ahh bear said...

You went on the ski lift and you're afraid of heights?! They had that at the MKE zoo and I veto'd it right away! Especially with Pierce!