Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Vacation - Day 3

Monday dawned bright and sunny, hot and humid! We're not used to sleeping in air conditioning of course so unfortunately, I didn't sleep great the night before - but no matter, I could sleep in! Glenn grabbed his coffee and I got my juice and we headed to the gazebo for a while before breakfast! There was a nice breeze blowing on the roof while we cooked breakfast so that was nice!

The property manager stopped by for the rent on the house so we visited awhile - he spoke great English! Also our maid and her husband Elfonzo who tended the gardens came by but of course they spoke very little English!

Glenn headed up to the fishing area to talk to some other people who were fishing with Oso for the day so I decided to grab my suit, lather on the suntan lotion and do some sunbathing! I pulled the lawn chair out on the sand and thought these 2 palms made a neat picture! It was VERY hot just sitting in the sun reading so I actually only stayed out a little while! The tan I DID get was just from walking on the beach!

We strolled up to Cafe del Sol for lunch - I was having trouble reading their Spanish menu when the lady behind the counter handed me a sheet of paper - not only was everything in Spanish AND English, but you actually marked on the menu what you wanted - I thought that was a neat idea! They served smoothies - berry and tropical - I tried the berry first and it was awesome! My turkey/avocado/bacon sandwich was out of this world!

While we were sitting at the outdoor cafe, I looked over at this extremely vegatated lot that had lots of coconut trees on it and there was a huge iguana - and I mean huge - his tail alone had to be 2 feet! During the course of our meal, several iguanas went up the trees - must have been having a party or something..........

I took a walk after lunch down the beach but you can only go so far this one way because of the rocks - but I saw a pathway that went through so walked on it and it came out on the other side of the rocks - a neat, small cove with a great sand beach - I can never resist taking pics of my footprints!



On the walk back, I saw this bird sitting on a post - a most unusual bird and I have no idea what kind it was! I tried to get closer but he flew off!



Glenn took a LONG siesta while I read out in the living room area - the views aren't quite as good as on the gazebo but the padded couch was a lot easier to sit on!! (just for the record, you might want to know that I read 8 books from the time we left till the time we arrived home!)

After naptime, we put on the swimsuits and headed out to the ocean! And yes, I LOVED wearing my new suits!!

The ocean was wonderful - I have never felt such warm water before - guess it's because we were so far south! Because of the large waves coming in, you really have to be careful and it was all I could do sometimes to hold my footing when a big wave came in!! All the same though, it was great fun! After the ocean, we headed next door where we had stayed the first night and swam in the pool - that water was even warmer than the ocean! So we had the best of both worlds!!

As evening approached, I was hoping for a good sunset -it was cloudy enough out that I thought we would have one - I loved the way the ocean looked at dusk!



And sure enough, there was a sunset!



We headed to a new restaurant for dinner that night, Cafe Bravo - it seemed we were always eating earlier than everybody else and I thought that was a little strange so when we sat down and our waiter spoke a little English, I asked him the time - duh - I had set my watch wrong!! It was actually an hour earlier!! Didn't really matter since we were on vacation but arriving at the airport to go home an hour EARLIER than we needed to be there would NOT have been fun!! So we got a chuckle out of that!

The pina coladas at this place were HUGE!! And because we ordered guacomole as an appetizer, by the time my chicken fajita came, I could hardly eat any of it!! The waiter (a young guy who was fun to talk with) asked me if something was wrong and I said, no, I was just full! When he came back later to wrap up my food he asked me "Are you still drunk?" Apparently he was a little mixed up on his English - ha ha!!

That evening there was a lot of thunder and lightning so I sat on the gazebo for a while and watched it!! There is also a beacon light at the end of the beach that I guess was for the boats as it would flash on and off 4 times, then wait a while and start again - I had fun dreaming up stories that the drug runners had put it up and were sitting in their boats out in the ocean, waiting for the right light to come ashore! To be continued...........

2 comments:

DrKeppy said...

I got a good laugh out of the "are you still drunk?" comment!!! Mmmmm that food sure sounds good!

ahh bear said...

Um - I soooooo want some guacamole & a pina colada right now!!!