Sunday, November 1, 2009

I'm BACK!!! (from vacation that is!)

WOW - it's been OVER 2 weeks since I've blogged - and YES , I missed it!! In fact, I kept a pretty detailed journel while I was on vacation so it would be really easy to write about it without having to use my brain and remember what happened! So I dug through the paperwork in the backpack and found my journal so I could start in tonight -although it's really late and I SHOULD be in bed because it's BACK TO WORK tomorrow!

We left a week ago last Saturday, Oct. 24th - seems like a lot longer than that............Our destination was to fly into Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa and then get our rental car and head to a little village about 30 miles north called Toncones for our week's stay - and here is the story.................

Glenn was swamped with work the 2 weeks before we left - so busy in fact that he didn't go to bed on Friday night - that's right - he worked till 12:30 am and then showered and laid down for 20 minutes - and then the alarm went off at 1:30 am - actually the alarm DIDN'T go off - I had reset it from it's usual 5:40am wakeup to 1:30 am wakeup and even set the backup alarm a couple minutes later - neither one went off!! Luckily for me, I had woken up when Glenn came up to shower and knew I had to get up in a few minutes so wasn't sleeping hard!! I NEVER sleep very well the night before our trip, always worrying about the alarm NOT going off and missing our flight - duh!!! Now I REALLY have good reason to worry!


I decided I better drive to Denver since poor Glenn hadn't got any sleep yet! I detest driving at night - but made it just fine to the airport where we parked in the shuttle parking lot and grabbed a bus to the terminal! This was our first time for paying to check luggage! Times sure have changed.........

We did have time to grab a quick bite to eat and then headed for our gate - since there was no Caribou Coffee around that I could see, I had to settle for Einstein Bagels coffee and it really wasn't too bad - until I sat down at the gate and saw a woman coming from the OTHER direction carrying her Caribou Coffee - darn - my fault for not checking around the corner!

The flight to Phoenix was uneventful - it was kind of weird flying in the dark - I didn't think much about it as I immedicately turned on my light and started reading. After we took off I looked around and mine was the ONLY light that was on - so then I started thinking that maybe I should really turn it off and get some shut eye - so I did........(although I was disappointed that our seats didn't recline because we were in front of the exit door seats!)

Phoenix was nice and sunny and we had a 2 hour layover - time enough for another breakfast and to exchange some money which by the way, was a great peso to dollar rate!! Then it was time to climb back in the plane and I was NOT happy with our seats which were the second to the back row - but what's a person to do - at least we weren't in the BACK row where you couldn't recline!
Besides freezing on this flight and a little rough in places, it wasn't too bad! I took this time to get my IPOD out of my backpack and try it out - WOW - it worked just great and I was thrilled to sit there and listen to great music while reading my book!

We arrived at the airport and of course in Mexico you always climb down the steps and depart outside - it was a blast of heat and humidity like I NEVER expected!! This trip had taken us the furthest south we had ever been in Mexico and also a little earlier than we usually go - hence the heat and humidity! The airport was small and customs took a while since we were basically some of the last ones to climb out of the airplane - after customs, we were checked for the swine flu!! That certainly surprised me in MEXICO of all places but I was glad they were checking for it! We grabbed our luggage which by this time were the only 2 pieces floating around the carousel and once again I lamented that I had packed too much and why didn't we just do carryon????

Since the airport was small, we weren't bombarded with time share people the moment we walked out the door - only one guy even asked us and when we said we were going to Troncones, he left us alone!! There were 5 rental car agencies, all packed together in one tiny corner of the airport and check in was a breeze! Since Glenn and I don't speak the language, we're always thrilled when people we have to deal with speak some English!

Soon we were out the door with a map in hand and directions from the rental car guy on where to stop for groceries and how to get to Troncones! I always admire Glenn for driving SO WELL in the Mexico traffic - they drive a little crazy down there and I could NEVER drive in the traffic as well as Glenn does! We found the grocery store and were surprised once again when we walked through the door and there was a guy spraying hand sanitizer on your hands!

After much debating and walking back and forth in the store, we FINALLY purchased our groceries and drinks and headed out the door, back into the traffic! Like I said, we had a map but it wasn't a GOOD map and we kicked ourselves later for not purchasing an actual road map! Since this was our FIRST time in this area, we had no idea where to go! We drove along and pretty soon realized we had somehow gotten off the main road as we were in the hotel zone of Ixtapa!

Glenn found his way back to the road and we drove and drovem at least that's what it seemed like!! Thinking we had missed the turnoff to Troncones (although at this point, we didn't even know if we were looking for a road or a sign) we turned around and drove back a ways - no luck - even stopped and asked someone and he said it was up ahead a few kilometers!! More driving - by this time we're getting a little cranky from lack of sleep and we just want to find the town! We round a corner and there's the sign to Troncones, 3 km!! HOORAY - we found the road!

We pulled into the tiny town and I dug out my directions for our place - since we couldn't check into our main place until Sunday, we were spending the night next door at the Tropic of Cancer - when I asked for directions in my email, Luis said to take a left at the intersection, find the Tropic of Cancer sign, park, and our room was in the main house on the 2nd floor to the left and the key would be hanging on the door!! Only in Mexico can you receive directions like this!! Glenn and I have both learned that usually what they say, is exactly what they mean!! And once again, there was no need to have worried because we found the little Tropic of Cancer resort, climbed up the steps to the second floor and there was the key, hanging on the door!!

We unlocked the door to a bedroom that absolutely had NO character whatsoever but DID have a huge and nice bathroom!! And there was air conditioning!! I'm not sure we could have slept without it!! Outside the bedroom was another set of steps so we raced up there (well, not really raced of course because by this time we're sweating like crazy!!) and THAT'S what made the place - an open air kitchen, dining area and living room, all under a palapa roof -with views of the ocean!! Ah, that's what I'd been waiting for.........

Of course we didn't unpack since we knew we were moving the next day but did get the groceries in the frig and while Glenn collapsed on the bed for a nap, I headed up to the top to read and relax in the heat!!

After asking the owner of the place where to eat, she directed us next door to the Burro Burracho - and when we got there, the entire sand part of the restaurant was filled with tables and chairs and LOTS of people - it was a wedding party!! We could still eat though in the regular open-air restaurant and that pina colada and garlic shrimp tasted fantastic!!

About 1/2 way through our meal, we were provided entertainment, courtesy of the wedding!! They had 2 Mexican couples all dressed up in their finery that did traditional Mexican dances - oh they were wonderful and we loved watching them!! After them, the music changed considerably and 3 younger guys came out and did some break-dancing!! I'm not sure that's what it's called anymore but that's what I CALL it - they were fantastic!! And later, the Mexican couples came back out and just danced - did I have my camera so I could take pictures of all of this??? Of course not........... We were just going out to eat - why would I need my camera??? Trust me, I never left the place without it again!!

And then it started pouring rain - I knew it was humid for a reason!! Luckily our place was next door so we didn't have far to run in the rain - and neither one of us woke up once during that first night - we were both exhausted and just ready for some sleep...........To be continued

3 comments:

Patty Jensen said...

Wow wow wow - it looked gorgeous and sounded like so much fun - can't wait to read more!!!!!

ahh bear said...

It's cold here (finally) - I'm wishing that I was in Mexico right now!

DrKeppy said...

I've missed reading your blog!! Sounds like the trip started out great - am excited to see more pictures!!