Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Whatever Did We Do Before The Internet?????

I enjoy watching the news while I'm cooking dinner but if Glenn is running late, then we're into the evening TV shows and I rarely watch regular TV - anything I want to watch, I record and watch it later downstairs.

SO last night was one of those nights when dinner was running later than usual and the regular programming started - I switched over just to see if there was ANYTHING worth watching and happened upon a PBS station that was actually doing a 1/2 hour promotion show for the Time-Life CD series of the "Romantic 70's"!! I'm not kidding - Tony Orlando was hosting the show and the entire 1/2 hour consisted of not only the songs and their artists scrolling by on the TV screen, but also clips of the artists singing the songs!! Now that was a real treat to see the 70's clothes and hairstyles - WOW - what memories those songs brought back!

Anyway, when they would go to cut to a commercial, a 70's instrumental song would play and Glenn and I tried and tried to think who had cut that particular song!! It was a trumpet player - or so we thought- and the only group we could come up with was Herb Albert and The Tijuana Brass (and just for the record, Glenn USED to play trumpet and played just about every Herb Albert song made so he considered himself an expert on the subject!!) I didn't think it was Herb - their songs tended to be a lot more brassy and loud and this song was softer and more mellow!

After watching the rest of the show and hearing that song time and time again, I just HAD to find out the artist and the name - so we logged on to ITunes where I have an account and looked up Herb Albert and then started playing the 30 seconds of EACH one of his songs - but to no avail!! We then decided that maybe it wasn't a trumpet player after all - maybe it was a saxaphone as sometimes it's kind of hard to tell so I looked up Kenny G and we went through EACH AND EVERY ONE OF HIS SONGS!! Only after we did that did I realize that Kenny G wasn't even KNOWN in the 70's - duh!!

And then the light bulb came on in my head - go to the Time-Life website (that I had been on years ago) and find the "Romantic 70's" CD set and search through the list for EACH CD until I found the song - the website is set up just like ITunes so you can play a little bit of each song. I knew I wouldn't even have to play the song as I would recognize it on site - and that's exactly what happened. On the 2nd CD set, CD #2 there it was - Chuck Mangione with Feels So Good!! Now how could I have forgotten that artist as I loved that song!!

Another question solved by the internet...................

1 comment:

Teri said...

Emily is always looking up stuff on the internet - I usually get so lost that I can never find what I am looking for. Good for you!